Friday, November 28, 2008

Loveline.

When I was in high school, Q101 used to play Loveline at nights. It was essentially a call-in show for teens and people in their early 20s about sex and relationship problems they were having. I don't know why, but I listened to it quite often when falling asleep, or doing my homework after work.

Thinking back on most of the content I remember from the show, most of the people who called in were completely clueless about some very basic info about sex. I mean, very basic info. Such as what a condom does in terms of preventing pregancy/STDs. (You mean, you can still get an STD if he pulls out?)

It makes me worry not only about my peers who are having sex irresponsibly, but also about the next generation(s). Are they this ignorant about basic facts? Or has the increased prevalence of early sexual encounters lead to a greater knowledge of these facts that my own generation seemed relatively ignorant about?

One hopes our country's teenagers in fact know more than we did, but I don't know if that's very realistic.

No comments: