Saturday, January 3, 2009

Because.

A lot of people have asked me why I do what I do, occupation-wise. It is true, I could be doing more...intellectually stimulating things, or at the very least more profitable things.

I don't know exactly how to explain it.

For the years and years I was in school, and not just college, but always, I never understood why I was there. Yes, to get good grades, then graduate, then go to school more, then get more good grades, until you eventually get a job and then...I don't know what is supposed to follow. But I never felt like it was the place I should be. The first day of class began the interminable countdown of days until the semester was finally over, and then I could be one semester closer to being done with school. On the whole, that's not a terribly healthy view to have of academia. I never really cared about graduating, I cared more about not having to be in school anymore. The difference is subtle, but important.

Working at Checkmate, it's not been like that. I don't come to work so I have one less day that I have to work before I retire and/or die. Although I don't always want to go to work, I like working on the whole. I feel better after work than I do before, even on long days. I like doing something, as opposed to sitting at a desk all day. I like being outside (in the summer), and I like being able to make positive impact on the company and its workers without having to deal with corporate policy.

I feel like school is something I did for others. And Checkmate is what I do for myself.

No comments: