Monday, December 1, 2008

Fucking farmers.

As I was hitting the snooze this morning, I couldn't help but think about how much harder it is to wake up in the end-of-fall, winter, early-spring than it is to wake up during spring, summer, and early fall. When my alarm goes off then, as soon as my eyes open I feel like I'm rushing out of bed, and that I'm already behind schedule.

From 1973-1975, the US had daylight savings time year round, in an effort to save energy during the Oil Embargo. As far as I can tell, it was pretty popular on the whole, not just in terms of energy savings. Yet, the opposition was pretty high from states who relied more heavily on agriculture. Much like red states versus blue states, it's rural areas of the country holding the rest of us in tradition, whereas the future policies of the country are born in the cities.

Maybe one day, we can live in DST permanence, and we can recognise that we are no longer a rural country (and stop voting Republican), but until then, we're left with darkness half the year, and Sarah Palin is seen as a viable national political candidate.

No comments: