Thursday, December 11, 2008

Just one, it'll be fine.

I'm a former smoker. I was never a pack-a-day or more kind of smoker, but 5-7 a day, or so. I smoked regularly from 15-19. Quit when I was 19, and started smoking again when I was about 20. Kept smoking til about 23. Quit. Started again later that year, and quit again later that year.

Quitting and starting again is always an odd thing. It's "just one, because I'm stressed." Or because I'm drunk, and I'll have a few, and wake up with a pack.

It's something I struggle with on a near daily basis. About half the guys I work with smoke, so there is constantly second hand smoke in the air. I don't know what it is, but I've always liked the smell of 2hsmoke. And every time I smell it, I can't help but want just one drag. To feel my lungs fill with that single drag, and to feel the nicotine flow through me. Relaxing, calming, fulfilling. (Yes, I am aware nicotine is a stimulant.)

Don't get me wrong. I much prefer to not smoke. To not spend the money, to not kill myself, to be able to run, and to not smell like stale cigarettes all the time. But I still can't help but want the occasional cigarette. Or just one drag, it'll be fine.

No comments: